Psalm 150 (The Message)

Hallelujah!
Praise God in his holy house of worship, praise him under the open skies; Praise him for his acts of power, Praise him for his magnificent greatness; Praise with a blast on the trumpet, praise by strumming soft strings; Praise him with castanets and dance, praise him with banjo and flute; Praise him with cymbals and a big bass drum, praise him with fiddles and mandolin. Let every living, breathing creature praise God!
Hallelujah!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

As usual Tommy can say it better than I

This is from Tommy's blog "Shoot The Moose." A link to the site has been added to the links list.
V


Let Go and Let God
Posted on January 15th, 2007.

I am myself again.

Saturday, while doing early set up at Cumberland Heights for yesterday’s church service, it helped to have a task to concentrate on. Then, while leaving the beautiful grounds, I paid particular attention to the arch over the driveway. In big letters, it says, “Let Go and Let God”. I literally did one of those “I could have had a V-8″ forehead slaps. Sometimes, these moments just kind of come at you, dontcha’ know?

One other thing about yesterday: worship at a place like Cumberland Heights (it’s a drug and alcohol treatment center) just seems so much more real. Songs that we’ve played a hundred times, that usually bring about polite head nods or applause, at this place they bring forth such raw emotion. You get so used to playing these songs that it becomes routine; yet, after almost every number, I look up and see so many tears. For some people there today, songs like He Touched Me, Lean On Me, Amazing Grace, even my own Piggyback Ride struck a nerve.

I’ve always believed that music is God’s way of giving us just a taste of the ecstacy of Heaven, a fleeting glimpse leaving us wanting to get to His kingdom so that we might experience the real thing. Kind of like walking past a McDonald’s and smelling the french fries. Music touches us in a way so unknown, in a place so hidden within us that it is impossible to describe. I forget that sometimes. That’s why it shocked me to see people so visibly moved by music I had begun to take for granted.

We musicians are there to “Lead them to the Altar”. So many Sundays, whether because the congregation is distracted, or we are, that doesn’t happen as much as we’d like. But not this Sunday. You could see the Holy Spirit embracing every person in that chapel. It is hard to remain in self-pity when you know that you are being given the highest honor: being allowed to do God’s work. It is impossible to not feel all Joy when you see that work bearing fruit. This is why we do what we do. I’m going to try not to forget that again.

I know I’m using a lot of Christian-Speak, but I do not apologise. These are the apropriate words for what I am feeling.

I had a Crocodile Dundee moment yesterday. I offered up the knife of my pain and struggle and dared God. The Lord just smiled at me and said, “That’s not a knife”. He took me to Cumberland Heights and said “THAT’S a knife”.

Lesson learned.

No comments: